Good nutrition is important to all of us, but it is especially important
for young children.
As a parent, you play a major role in teaching your child how to develop good eating habits.
Here are some steps to help you improve nutrition and encourage smart eating habits for your children:
• Be a role model by eating healthy yourself.
• Encourage your child to eat when hungry and to eat slowly.
• Eat meals together as a family as often as possible.
• Avoid the use of food as a reward.
• Avoid withholding food as punishment.
• Children should be encouraged to drink water and to limit intake of beverages with added sugars, such as soft drinks, fruit juice drinks, and sports drinks.
• Plan for healthy snacks.
• Stock the refrigerator with fat-free or low-fat milk. fresh fruits and vegetables instead of soft drinks or snacks that are high in fat, calories or added sugars and low in essential nutrients.
• Aim to eat at least five servings of fruits and vegetables each day.
• Discourage eating meals or snacks while watching TV.
The Boone County Cooperative Extension offers many opportunities and is here to help with food, nutrition and health questions.
They offer programs that educate parents and consumers about making healthy food choices and wise health decisions. Their programs are free and fun. You can learn about:
• Making healthy, speedy suppers for you and your family
• Preparing healthy, speedy snacks for you and your family
• Family mealtime
• Wildcat Walkers
For healthy recipes or questions on programs available through the Boone County Cooperative Extension, please call 859/586/6101. They are there to help you!
To download our color-by-number healthy eating chart PDF, click on the icon to the right.